Remake - getting figgy with it!

Sun in Sagittarius, Moon in Scorpio, Waning Moon.

We are blessed in Western Australia to have some of the most stunning beaches in the world i think! And being on the west coast we also have stunning sunsets to enjoy every night - ahhhh-mazing! Considering this - living in our gorgeous beach side suburb obviously has its perks! 

Not only is there the beach to enjoy year round but lots of awesome cafes, bars and restaurants are beginning to pop up - hooray!

One of my favourites is the groovy Wild Fig that is just down the end of the street at Brighton Beach. I love their fun, retro, quirky, decor with the astro turf walls and tea cup chandeliers it is all very Alice in Wonderland! And they support local artists by holding regular exhibitions - one day i will be brave and enquire!

The Wild Fig is currently holding an art competition called Remake and really i thought it would be a bit of fun to get involved! 

I have chosen to remake The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci. The challenge of the competition was not just to get all fancy with the paintbrush but to actually recreate the scene so anyone could enter and seeing as making art available to everybody is a true love of mine i was willing to get out of my square or to be more exact absolutely drown in a gajillion of them in the world of PhotoShop and pixels - eep!

View from The Wild Fig
So off i went down to the Fig and took some snaps of their view of the beautiful Brighton Beach. Ahh the sea is so magikal, all wild with the rain that was about to come in, so salty and fresh! I then popped into the Fig for a coffee and while i waited I took in the bright colours and bustling people and went home inspired to begin!

I gathered a collection of toys that hang around my art studio and photographed them in poses similar to the set up of the disciples in the Last Supper. I love the curious collection a Troll, Glowbug, Blythe, Sylvanian and My Little Pony all included - it's a real little retro toy show! 

Trolls and Glowbugs and The Masked Bunny
Blythe as Mary Magdalene

The masked rabbit girl i created for my DayDreamSpace-Laneway Exhibition has even made a cameo! And i just happened to have a vintage picture of Jesus that my grandmother gave my mother when she was a little girl that was given to me when i was a little girl that I photoshopped into the scene.

Vintage Jesus
So then onto Photoshop - i am getting there slowly, bumbling along! I am teaching myself at the moment so it is slow and tedious but for a girl that usually repels technology i am slowly getting my head around it - can't believe it really!

The Last (Fig) Supper

The Last Supper - Giampietrino 1520

I ended up referencing Giovanni Pietro Rizzoli's image as well as da Vinci's because it had better colour and image detail.

The competition closes tonight - Nothing like the last minute to motivate the creative fire hey! Wish me luck - i could win food at the Fig for a year - yippee! You'll know where to find me :) Inspiration perhaps for my own exhibition there!

Fingers crossed, wishes wished and entries posted! 
xxxx

0 comments:

Post a Comment