An Eco-Faerie Tale

Sun in Sagittarius, Moon in Libra, Waning Moon.

I have been a faerie since i was a kid!

I was told i would grow out of it but i new deep down this wasn't the case, in fact i felt like the faeries were my kin.. that may sound odd but it's just how it is!
I feel like i have spirit wings attached to my shoulder blades and during mediations i will unfold them and dust them off to fly about. When i put on my physical wings something transforms in me, gravity doesn't change unfortunately - that WOULD be a treat, but i transform inside, i feel a little bit taller, a little bit sillier and like all my issues with self acceptance and confidence disappear - i was born to be a faerie!

Photo courtesy of Wild Dawn Photography


The thing about being connected to the fae is that you also become deeply connected to the earth and her seasons and songs and all the plants and animals and birds and trees and forests and ocean and mountains and rocks and stones and twigs and snails and ladybirds!




I have apparently always been 'too' sensitive and would rant at kids at school about not pulling the leaves off the trees, to pick up their rubbish and to ask the flowers for permission before you pick them - this did nothing to gain me new friends but it felt like a compulsion, i would pick up rubbish, hug trees, cut the plastic off the trees marked to be cut down in our local bush, sing with the birds and tie ribbons in trees with wishes and love and i cried desperately for weeks when the lavender was cut down outside my bedroom window. As a kid, i could feel the world, our connection to it and the sheer joy of dancing and playing in it, nature was my solace, my kin.




Unfortunately my self esteem went through a battering as a teenager and as my mental health took a turn for the worst I couldn't express my faerie connection anymore without being labeled 'sick' or 'crazy'. Slowly i began to tuck my wings in, i silenced my songs, i stopped playing in the world and everything was a bit greyer. Ignoring the fae, i was a shell of myself, lost and miserable and desperate to re-member myself and the magik i had hidden.

The wonderful thing is that once the bond is made it isn't easy to break and even though i felt the faeries would have forgotten about me, they had never actually left in the first place and they were waiting there patiently for me to 'be myself' again and slowly i did.

I began working at a 'New Age' store in 2007 that sold faerie ornaments and crystals and witchy books and incense - it was such a treat to be surrounded by such lovely smells and glitter and crystals each day. The best thing about this little job was the beautiful girls i got to work with, some of whom are still dear friends to this day - finally i wasn't a weirdo - they all believed in something magikal too, ahh what a breath of fresh air, it was a real treat! A lot of the ladies at the store would talk about a girl who had gone off to Canada to write a book about the faeries and that i had to meet her when she returned - oh my goodness, i was a bit beside myself at the thought that someone else believed in faeries as an adult and that she wasn't mad - you see even though i had reclaimed my fae back i was still wary that all the non-believers and poo-poohers were right and i might actually still be mad!

Lewis Carroll's story of Alice in Wonderland has greatly helped me embrace my 'madness' for as the Cheshire Cat says "We are all mad here"and the Mad Hatter asks Alice if he is mad and she says "yes, you're entirely bonkers but all the best people are!" Hee hee. Let the love of tea parties begin!!




I met Faerie Cara the following year in 2008 and it changed my life really. I felt like i finally knew who i was or like i had always known and finally I accepted it.
I met her at the hugely successful 'Save the Faeries' event that she organised at City Farm in Perth. A festival of community, environmental entertainment and education for little and big kids with stalls of local environmental groups, artists, street theatre, circus acts, belly dancing, hula hooping and face painting, it was such an amazing event! I helped at my friends 'Earth Shine Cafe' selling tea and treats! 



Cara gave wings to her beautiful book that day  - her very own faerie tale




In 2009 I got to help out as a crafty faerie at the Save the Faeries Festival this time with the focus on 'Stand Up For The Barrup' a cause to help save the Barrup Peninsula, Western Australia's beautiful and ancient indigenous rock engraving and painting area.
www.standupfortheburrup.com/



As a crafty faerie i helped the kiddies make wands and gum nut friends and i even made my own wings and costume - a handmade up-cycled faerie i was!

With my toe in the door of Cara's Eco-Faeries i embraced it with all my heart. This is what i wanted to do! An eco-faerie was something real and tangible for me, not just about putting on glitter and wings but connecting to the natural world and being a better person and inspiring others in the process. It became about connecting to my community rather than living in isolation.

Each year since i have tried to be apart of Faerie Cara's energetic spectaculars and the Eco Faeries have grown so much. Cara is a power house of energy, enthusiasm, love, dedication and spirit. She is such an inspiration to so many people and her motto 'Inspire, Be the Change' just hits it perfectly!

Like Gandhi's 'Be the Change You Wish To See In The World,' Faerie Cara and the Eco-Faeries are inspiring so much change, awareness and love where ever they go. Especially with her new educational programs in schools about what happens to our rubbish waste and how to reduce it, saving water and planting trees the eco-faeries are getting the message across in fun ways that kids love and then take home and pass the message on to their families. Simple, fun and essential really.

Being an Eco -Faerie is a way of life. It is what i call my compulsive desire to look after the environment and my belief in magik all rolled into one. It harmoniously inspires my art practise, my spiritual practise, my daily habits and self care and the way i connect to the world around me.

I used to be a real drama queen and i guess as the faeries got tucked in and hidden away when i was younger everything else did too. I got afraid, fragile, nervous and shy, the anxiety took over everything. Sadly now i hardly remember how i was ever able to get on stage and sing and dance and perform in all the plays that i did but this year I have taken the opportunity to take a bold leap into the the more theatrical side of the Eco-Faerie events. I started small .. tiny even, by hula - hooping at the kings park festival with the kids in between wish stone painting! It is so much fun to play with kids, to paint and to dance around and be goofy, the kids are so adorable with their hooping tricks and the joy and glee on their faces when they learn a trick for the first time is a real treat!


Eco-Faeries at the Kings Park Festival


One day i want to be a super dooper hula hooper! But for now i will just keep practising out by the washing line!

My next trick was the Pride Parade! My first parade and it was super fun dancing with the girls to the amazing sounds of WASAMBA The Fremantle Carnival Drummers - gosh those drummers are amazing!!! It got my heart pounding and my feet stomping and my arms and legs covered in goosebumps and my bum started shimmying and BOOM! The parade begins and we danced all the way down William and James Street in Northbridge to support the Gay and Lesbian community and Equal Marriage Rights - which we believe is something for everyone - Love knows no boundaries!


Eco-Faeries at The Fremantle Festival

Last weekend was the Fremantle festival and i think something has clicked for me, i think i have fully embraced my inner clown! In fact i want to find some big stupid shoes!
Such a high energy silly fest! The theme was 'Mythical Creatures - well that will be hard for a bunch of faeries! But not willing to go half measures we pushed our limits of mythical with Mermaids, Unicorns, Zebracorns and Satyrs and we even had a float! The amazing Kirk welded together a bed frame to old bicycles and it even had bubble machines and water canons - Ka-Pow!!!
We danced again with WASAMBA and it was such joy, I delighted in sprinkling glitter on the kids, playing with bubbles and jumping as high into the sky as i could! The energy raced through my body like i was on fire and i delighted in it all! Hip-hip hooray i was fearless, gone was the shy girl, gone was the worrier, i was brave and fearless and so darn ridiculous - a breathe of fresh air, just what i needed!

And as i take my wings off for the day i am quiet again, i am still a little shy, but i feel a little braver and i know now that one drum beat away i can call on all that faerie energy and SHAZAM - i'll be bouncing back!!

Thank you Faerie Cara and the Eco-Faeries - You ARE Loved!!

www.ecofaeries.com

I would also like to thank the following talented folk for letting me use their pics - cheers guys!

Ashley Prince of Wild Dawn Photography
www.wilddawnphotography.com

and Simon Gray of Studio Gray
https://www.facebook.com/studiograydesign

xxx






6 comments:

  1. The Fae always call us home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful to see you reclaiming yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Sarah. I loved reading this post. Spread those wings and show every one your magical faerie joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping by and leaving a love letter - very nice !! :D

      Delete