Day 25 - New Style and Happy Saturday

Sun in Scorpio, Moon in Taurus, Almost Full Moon!

Now this is fun!

Manga Style #Improvement Hell

Draw a character in a style you have never drawn before. If emulating and artist credit and link. Bonus for colour style.

So this is my gorgeous lil nephew Oliver all Manga styled! I based him on Markl from Howl's Moving Castle by Studio Ghibli

Howl's Moving Castle
Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli need no introduction i am sure! 

I love Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away but i am still yet to watch My Neighbour Totoro... I know what have i been doing!! Definitely an animation night is in order, they have so many films i haven't seen or loved yet!!

A marvellous thing has occurred !! This image has inspired an illustrated story about Ollie's adventures. I really, really want to illustrate my own books and write beautiful stories one day. Like picture books that adults and kids can love.

Add caption

Add caption

Like Dr Seuss and Oh, the Places You'll Go! Have you read this story, oh my goodness it makes me emotional just thinking about it! It is too beautiful, so simple, so poetic, so thoughtful. I love Dr Seus soooo much. 
I love that he had his own hidden art as well as the amazing picture books he made. The art was like his solace I imagine, his personal expression and wasn't shown to the public or released until after his death apparently. Amazing man!

I really want to read these books! 
Add caption

Add caption

Has anyone read them before? Can you tell me if they are the same? And is it worth getting both? I have only ever seen one of them in person before and it was protectively wrapped in plastic so i couldn't even take a peek!

Ahhhhh and then there is Shaun Tan. I have spent many years admiring his art and stories. He may be more influential to me than Disney in fact - yep...wowee!
Every year I would create drawing programs based on his work when i taught as a high school art teacher. A wonderful way to immerse the kids into Shaun's imagination and beautiful drawing style and it gave me a great excuse to acquire more of his books and gaze dreamily at them for hours! Yay! He has just released this little gem - I think i want to dash out and get it this minute!!!! 


As you can imagine there is no shortage of beautiful books around our house! I look forward one day to maybe even having my own squeezed on the shelf! Hee hee yay!

Love for you all, my little book worms xxx


2 comments:

  1. Have you read Come over to my Place? by Theo LeSeig otherwise known as Dr Seuss. It was a favourite as a child and still a favourite as an adult. The pictures are simple, but so evocative, I always wanted to travel because of this book.
    Oliver Jeffers is another I love- in particular Lost and Found, "...that night the boy couldn't sleep for disappointment" *sob*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for new books suggestions! I have not read either of them, but i shall have to go find them now - yay for new books to discover :)

      Delete