The Patch - Greenthumbs

Sun in Capricorn, Moon in Taurus, 2nd 1/4

Today was spent almost in its entirety in the Garden!

The thing I enjoy most about gardening is that it is strenuous, hard work but at the end of the day you can see the effort you have put in reflecting back at you. 

I attribute my love of gardening and appreciation of the natural environment to my Grandfather 'Poppy'. I remember his native garden filled with giant rocks to climb and soaring eucalyptus's. Across the road from his house was very busy road so he planted heaps of native shrubs all along the road way to shield his house, a guerrilla gardener in the making! I remember feeling really proud of his efforts and I remember him telling me stories of the garden, its plants, insects and animals.

I think listening to John Williams, watching Ferngully and playing in our big garden block as a kid instilled a love and deep respect for the things growing around me. The plants in my childhood garden became places of adventure, my friends!

Here is 'The Patch' complete with growing sunflowers, tansy, pumpkin, carrots, beetroot, eggplant, parsley, thyme, sage, dandelion, tomatoes, corn, spinach, lettuce, borage.

I love combining herbs, flowers and veggies together and walking barefoot amongst the moist pea hay is a sensory delight!

It is all in baby stage still, the harsh sun and limited watering has caused some set backs but hopefully the worm farm compost and mulch kicks in soon and the garden will thrive!

The Almond tree delighted me as well today, normally it is given over to the chorus of gallahs and parrots that come to visit us, but today I managed to find a handful of almonds still waiting patiently on the tree for me. Also a rather large for my comfort spider that I have never seen before that at once enthralled and made my skin crawl! Jeepers Creepers I felt brave standing so close to take the photo eep!

Almonds are faerie trees!

Brown, hairy, scary and fabulous!



Almonds hulled, still in their shells waiting to be dried!

  

A truly wonderful experience, that is both grounding and rewarding is the preparing and eating of your grown delights.




I love the smell of home grown tomatoes so much i want to make a perfume out of them! They are lovingly munched in salads - so sweet and juicy they burst with freshness in your mouth like a flavour explosion. Companion planted with basil to take it an extra level = taste bud overload yuuummm!

Cherry Tomatoes are a symbol of True Love I can't remember where I heard this, but it is a rather beautiful thought with the plant in abundance in the yard! 





Fragrant intoxicating Cilantro sadly bolted the moment the sun came out, so I let it go wild and run off to seed, to be dried, gathered and ground into the prized Coriander spice. Oh how I love thee mortar and pestle, I'd love a big old fashioned stone one.












I would like to leave you with a prayer from the ever marvelous Michael Leunig:

Dear God,

We rejoice and give thanks for earthworms, bees, ladybirds and broody hens; for humans tending their gardens, talking to animals, cleaning their homes and singing to themselves; for the rising of the sap, the fragrance of growth, the invention of the wheelbarrow and the existence of the teapot, we give thanks. We celebrate and give thanks.

Amen

0 comments:

Post a Comment