Handmade Eco Wedding

Sun in Aquarius, moon in capricorn

Salutations!


I would like to share with you our handfasting thoroughly enjoyed 2 weeks ago! My love and I went to great lengths to create a day that was as handmade and as environmentally friendly as possible which of course meant it was filled to the brim with love and a whole pile of help and support from friends and family!

Handmade Invites - front
Handmade Invites - inside


Invitations were hand drawn by myself and then printed onto recycled paper and mounted on recycled card! Labour intensive but i have a speedy gonzalez scissor sister so they eventually were cut out in no time!




My beautiful, helpful friend successfully got me in a wedding dress shop - i nearly fled in sheer panic at first but got the hang of it after a while and actually tried a couple of frocks on and wait for it... i enjoyed myself! 
But buying a dress made in a factory in china really didn't sit well for me so i went home and did a bit of research for handmade wedding dresses - surely i could make my own i just needed some inspiration. I looked at crochet wedding dresses because well i just love crochet and i found this gorgeous number made by the bride herself on Gia Canali's Photography site here.

So that was it i was inspired! And this is what evolved after months of sewing, adjusting, brainstorming, stitching, dying and learning to crochet!

Handmade Wedding Dress
Vintage Can-Can Tu-tu an Handmade Dress




I found the skirt fabric years ago on a verge at a garage sale 5metres for $5 - Love it, its a Broderie Anglaise and was originally white, the corset fabric was some left over cotton i had in my art room. I dyed them with Procion Dyes with the help of my neighbour. I originally had turquoise with a majority of purple all over it in mind but it came out majority turquoise and it worked as little did i know but 'my love' had chosen a turquoise shirt to wear - we matched!
The pink tutu was from a fabulous vintage shop in the city called "Oh Henry" I love that shop! So many gorgeous frocks! The story goes that the skirt is from a Can-Can dancer from San Fransisco - love it and named it 'The Flamingo!' 

The crochet was a year long foray of learning and involved many lovely women contributing - thank you lovely ladies!

TOMS Wedge Heels
One for One -TOMS
I bought my shoes from a fabulous company called TOMS. You can find their wonderful shoes and eye wear at www.toms.com. For every pair of shoes you buy they will buy a pair for children less fortunate - awesome, ethical, comfy, gorgeous - big love to Toms! I wore them to my sister in laws wedding in there original splendor and then painted them purple and covered them in glitter! Naturally!

Raw Carrot Cakes!
More lovely ladies helped me make Raw Carrot Cup Cakes with Raw Cashew Cream Icing
I'll share the recipe for you - we made 150 and used 15 kilos of carrots so i think i'll modify the recipe to just 6 muffins for you all!


You will need 
Fruit/ Veg juicer
blender
silicone muffin holders


Cakes
1 cup walnuts
1 cup dates
2 cups of carrot pulp - enjoy that juice!
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1tbsp chia seeds
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg


Pulse the nuts in blender till mealy then pulse dry fruit till very chopped. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then press firmly into silicone moulds.
refrigerate.             

Topping 
1 cup cashews
dash of vanilla
1/4 cup water
table spoon coconut oil                        

Pulse the cashews in the blender with a little bit of water and oil till smooth add a dash of vanilla then check for smoothness, you may need to add more water/oil but you don't want the... 1/4 cup water topping too runny. Spread onto the muffins and pop in the fridge - hey presto!
          
We popped our carrot cakes into recyclable, compostable wrappers called 'If You Care' - so.. if you care head to http://www.atomikgreen.com.au/products/IF-YOU-CARE-Patty-Pans.html
Handmade Cake Topper -Walace and Totti and our cat!

The cakes were placed on a stand made with love by my dad - Thanks dad! And decorated with flowers by more lovely ladies! The cake topper was my version of Wallace and Lady Tottington with our cat! I love Stop Motion Animation and we watched the 'Curse of the Were Rabbit' early in our relationship and said that Ray was Wallace as he loves cheese and is a mad scientist and i was like Totti as i also would like a sanctuary for cute and fluffy animals! 


Friendship Wild Bouquet
 The wonderful women in my life were asked to bring a flower and two friends arranged them into gorgeous rainbow bouquets so beautiful and after the weekend my love and I took them to my uncles burial spot in Denmark to honour his memory.


My new father in law with the help of 'the men' made us a Tipi for our wedding night from a recycled billboard canvas that i painted with the help of some creative family members - my new sisters decorated the inside for us as a surprise it was so beautiful i really wish we had more time to spend in there!

 
The amazible sisters also helped with my hair and i got a foot massage - delux! A gorgeous friend did my makeup for me using eco-organic products like Inica and Zuii - go check these products out online or your local health food store and invest in not only organic beauty but the welfare of animals and your health :D


We ate vegetarian food on compostable dishes and cutlery, decorations were handed down from our sisters wedding a few weeks before and painted in rainbows, pom-poms were made by family and friends, crochet rugs were collected from op-shops and laid on hay bales for seating and warmth - it was pretty cold! Solar powered fairy lights were gifted from my sister and solar powered garden lights were found at a local hardware store. Seventy meters of bunting to be strung about the place was made by my mum from fabric scraps and left over ribbons.


Them Little Secrets 
We were blessed with live music from a local Denmark Blues band called Ramsnake and the talented tunes of Perth duo 'Them Little Secrets' - Please go and support these gorgeous girls on www.myspace.com/themlittlesecrets and
www.facebook.com/themlittlesecrets


They are sooo sublime!


Them Little Secrets




Tying the knot!

Handfasting Ribbons
For our ceremony we chose to have a handfasting an old Celtic ceremony where two people have their hands tied in ribbons (like tying the knot!) to symbolise their union and then every year and a day thereafter the couple comes back together to rebind there hands and commit to another year and a day together, a renewal of vows and commitment - so real and meaningful! Two of our very special friends held this ceremony for us - bless you Simone and Paul thank you so much!

  

I researched sustainable and ethical jewellers to make Rays wedding band and i believe i found the only one in the whole of Australia! A very talented man named Benjamin Manning  - Utopian Creations from Studio Eco in South Australia - go check him out www.utopiancreations.com.au/studio . He sent me photos every few days of the progress of the ring - it was so wonderful to watch it evolve from a hunk of metal! The gold is recycled from old jewellery, computer boards and other industrial/medical waste and refined with Palladium.
Recycled white gold block


Shaping
Engraved Celtic Knot

The finished Ring




















 The photos i have shared with you here were taken by my dear friend and super talented photographer - you can find more of her work at www.wilddawnphotography.com.au

Wedding Tree, Arch and Tipi

We are so blessed by very talented and generous friends and family. So many people contributed to making our day so very special and meaningful and handmade - Thank you so much everyone for helping make a day that we will treasure forever! 
          
We are delighted !!           

Prayer Flags



Lovers




2 comments:

  1. This is one of the most amazing stories I’ve ever heard: A handmade and environmentally friendly wedding. Wauw! I love the thought of it… And your dress. It’s really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment! Filling our special day with as much love for our earth through hand making and recycling just helped make the whole occasion so meaningful and set a good foundation for what we wanted in our married lives together and we were really blessed to have so many helping hands to make it all happen! I sometimes think I should have gone with a more traditional white dress but making my own was fun and I have been able to wear pieces of it again!

      Delete