January Book Love


This year has begun with some wonderful reading I would like to share the highlights!

Tea + Good book + comfy nook = awesome Sunday 

Big Magic, Elizabeth Gilbert
I love this book so much I want to wear it as a hat! 
I saw Liz give this talk last February for the Perth Writer’s Festival and I walked away from the evening full to the very meniscus with inspiration for my creative dreaming and overcoming my fear barriers. This book is filled with exactly the inspired energy she spoke with on stage. Elizabeth connects creativity to spiritual energy which is exactly my creative spiritual practise all interwoven together. It addresses our fears and dismantles them. It’s not a self help book but maybe more a motivational book, a cheer squad perhaps, some guidance, ideas and inspiration for your own creative journey –

Right at the beginning of the book in the first part titled Courage, she writes of another writer Jack Gilbert – of no relation – who says “we must risk delight,… we must have the stubbornness to accept our gladness in the ruthless furnace of the world… do you have the courage? Do you have the courage to bring forth this work? The treasures that are hidden inside you are hoping you will say yes” Man that fills my heart with Love! 

Creative Visualisation, Shakti Gawain
Revisiting an oldie but a goody. This is like a new age spirituality 101 book. And I feel its good to go back to these and re-immerse myself from time to time. This is such a wee book it was easy to dive in and reacquaint myself with some techniques that truly work for helping you cultivate a life in alignment with your highest potential through practical visualisation techniques. The lovely husband and i applies some of these techniques to our new year dreaming of the life we want to enjoy and create for ourselves.

Wildwood Dancing, Juliet Marillier
Oh my how I loved this fairy tale! I read it whilst we holidayed for the new year down at the family farm in Denmark. It really made my heart sing and its written for young adults so it was a cinch to zip through and I loved every minute. A sweet fairy tale of love and adventure and magic and the most beautiful frog companion. Having a long love of our green friends this character really stole my heart and in the middle of this book so many green frogs actually came to visit! My nephew found one in the veggie patch, one came hopping up to the house window one night and tried to come inside and another tiny one was spied on the edge of the dam whilst enjoying a swim in its cool depths.

Evolutionary Witchcraft – Thorn Coyle.
I actually read this through out the whole of 2015 and finished it this Jan. It’s not a long book at all, nor a hard read, in fact it’s the most enjoyable neopagan text book I have read in a long time. I just decided to take my time and spend a month really immersing myself into each chapter and trying out exercises. Thorn has a really enjoyable writing style and I find the Feri tradition very relevant to my own spiritual practise. I am going to keep working with this book this year within my circle so that will be super awesome to share the love with my witches!

Wild flower, Drew Barrymore
When I was 12 I found a poster of Drew with Daisies in her hair and i recognised a kindred free spirit and I thought – I want to be like her. I began collecting images from magazines and creating a scrap book, I watched all her movies and fell in love I guess as obsessive teenagers do. I don’t collect the scrap book pictures anymore, as I have grown up I care less and less for the world of celebrity and I whole heartedly refuse to contribute to the drama, lies and bullshit of the gossip magazines, perpetuating unhealthy gender based stereotypes and self loathing - they are filled to the brim with bad vibes! But I do love to fill my hair with flowers still and watch all her movies as they are released. This book really held her voice and I could hear her talking to me as I read it. It was a lil morsel of fun for the inner teenager who is still in love with Drew.

Wow I actually found the original poster in The Scrapbook <3 

What have you been Reading?
I’d love you to leave a recommendation in the comments <3

Brightest blessings



0 comments:

Post a Comment