The thing about Alice - Celebrating 150 years of Wonderland

Its Alices birthday on the 26th November, well sort of, it's the 150th anniversary of the story by Lewis Carroll, I feel like we should be having an unbirthday party! 

Here's a little song i LOVE to set the mood by Jefferson Airplane called Go Ask Alice on YouTube from Woodstock, oh how it reminds me of a time i haven't even been to but seem to remember! 

- Curiouser and curiouser! - 

I am so fond of Alice and I feel it is only necessary to pay tribute to her and her magical creator Lewis Carroll at this special unbirthday time. I plan to watch all the Alice movies I can find, so far i have gathered the following;

1951 - Disney Animation - Alice in Wonderland


1988 - Czech Stop motion Animation by Jan Svankmajer - this is seriously the trippiest surrealist  movie i have seen, Dali would have loved it!


1998 - Alice in Wonderland complete with Whoopi Goldberg as The Cheshire Cat!



 And 2010 - Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, my favourite!


I just found out that the second Tim Burton film - 'Through the Looking Glass' is being released in May 2016 - so much squee!

Are there more Alice movies i can fill my days with i have missed that you love?

- Why is a raven like a writing desk? - 

Handmade Wonderland obviously takes some of its influence from the surreal world Alice found herself in and although I have been drawn to the stories and wonder of Carroll's creations for as long as I can remember I have never really sat down to put my finger on what exactly it is about Alice and Wonderland that I love so much

So it's time for Tea and an Alice Love List  

* The cats and Rabbits – I love cute and fluffy animals – I also love talking animals

* Cheshire cat we are all mad here maybe a sense of belonging in finding a place of equal weirdness and strangeness and simultaneous belongingness in contrast to the regular world that I feel ill fitted to.

* Tea parties with Mad Hatters, March Hares and Dormouse – Unbirthday parties – we have had a few of those around here!

* I also flipping LOVE tea, teapots, tea cups and saucers and all tea related everything so maybe there is a link there 

* Becoming very very small and walking amongst the flowers has been treasured daydreams since I was little.

* All the fantastical creatures and absurdity and surrealism. It is a place that touched my heart and hasn’t left, it is like a realm in the land of faery that inspires life and art for me and rather than just being a place to escape to it also helps me to understand and deal with this often harsh and cynical world I find my physical body in.

* Inspiring fantastical characters for my own art and imaginings

I am going to immerse myself in all the Alice books i can find too - 
  
THE MOST BEAUTIFUL Alice book was gifted to me by my husband and includes Carroll's collected works and images by the original illustrator John Tenniel, i cannot believe this was written in 1865!  


 - She liked to believe in as many as 6 impossible things before breakfast - 



- “If youll believe in me, Ill believe in you, said the Unicorn - 

I have collected a couple of other books mainly for the love of the beautiful illustrations of the different artists, I have used them as reference materials for a variety of illustration classes i have taught. I really enjoy Alice inspired art so much and there is so much of it! Here are a few books i have with different illustrators, i don't think i will ever have seen enough Alice Art!

Disney Alice Golden Book illustrations - love love love!








 - “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.” - 



 I have a Forgotten Pages art print by Irish Artist Pat Byrne of 'Alice Watching Butterflies', we bought it in Dublin a couple of years ago at the Jam Factory Art Gallery in Temple Bar - here is a link to their website. After a couple of pints the Irish cheer got the better of me and I thought it would be a good idea to get it tattooed on me! Almost, I didnt though, but maybe one day.


Here's are a couple of my own creations inspired by Alice, Wonderland and dreams and you can read a little bit more about their stories as they are now available as limited edition prints of 200, they have been professionally printed on archival quality 310gsm cotton rag paper, currently available in the Handmade Wonder Etsy Shop 

          I Wont Forget

          Inner Child

 - "have i gone mad?"
"I'm afraid so, but let me tell you something, the best people usually are.” - 

I hope you enjoy your very own Unbirthday Party celebrations, save a seat for me and may your wish come true! 

Brightest Blessings
faerie xx 





0 comments:

Post a Comment