Artist Statements and other such faffy poop

A website called 500 letters was brought to my attention recently. It creates an Artist Statement for you after you give it a few basic details of you and your art. It made me laugh how easy it was to generate a 'fancy' pile of art wank. 

Sarah Kilgariff
Sarah Kilgariff (°1983, Perth, Australia) is an artist who works in a variety of media. By contesting the division between the realm of memory and the realm of experience, Kilgariff absorbs the tradition of remembrance art into daily practice. This personal follow-up and revival of a past tradition is important as an act of meditation.

Her collected, altered and own artworks are being confronted as aesthetically resilient, thematically interrelated material for memory and projection. The possible seems true and the truth exists, but it has many faces, as Hanna Arendt cites from Franz Kafka. Sarah Kilgariff currently lives and works in Scarborough.


 I am quite perplexed at the 'art worlds' desire and glorification of this art wank. What on earth?! 
Who decided artists needed to write in 3rd person about them selves and use lofty language that makes the eyes glaze over. It's all intelligent, shallow, clever, heartless muck.

Where is the heart in this art world? I am considered a fluffy bunny woo woo for even saying the word heart... how dreadfully sad. What a sad time indeed when the words of the heart to convey your art are considered less. When creating from the heart and talking about the heart and living from the heart are thought of as less?

I think i am lost, lost and i don't belong any where. I feel this is the same for my art too. It has gotten me quite down of late, i think i am on the other side of it as the determination is bubbling again!

Surely if i was born this way, with this penchant for disregarding the rules, the head, the shoulds, the popular belief, the 'norms', the writing of critical faff then surely that's because there is a space for me?

Handmade Wonderland, Faerie - Holding the Fall, Mixed media on Canvas and Rescued Circle Support, 2015 


Where are you my creative heArt tribe? Where do i belong? Why am i so driven to create if this modern art world has no place for me? 

Maybe i'm wounded still from harsh tertiary education critisism and from failing year 12 English because even though i was and A student in creative writing i was a big old F in critical essay writing- Maybe it's a gift! Maybe if i let it all go and stop looking my place will come.

Here is the artist statement i actually wrote about my current body of work.

Artist Statement

“Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you
REALLY love, it will not lead you astray” – Rumi

Putting heart back into art

My past artwork has danced with ideas and themes of ‘home’ and 
‘daydream’ often set in the faerytale landscape of my heart.
I want to go deeper, I want to let go and submerge myself in
this world and bring it out to share for I feel it’s a balm for 
this often-cynical world.

I’m a faerie.
That’s not something a lot of ‘rational, level headed adults say,
but I do, I know in my heart of hearts that I am and it explains 
perfectly the sense of oddness I have in this world. 
But doesn’t everyone – don’t we all at times feel lost? Are we all faeries? :-) 
lol no probably not but you can be what ever you want to be – 
that’s the magik.

In delving into this heart landscape I am filled with energy, healing, 
unraveling and soul finding. I am at one with the infinite creator spirit 
and still just a girl in a little art room in a suburb in a country in the world. 
I am not extraordinary at all, I am just like you but I have
chosen to walk the path of wonder – wandering wonderer!

I want to bring this wonderland out in to this world and share its magik, 
share the delight and joy it gives me with others – beware there will be glitter!!!

I imagine a space of tea parties and tea ceremonies and tea leaf readings, 
ritual, music, growing things, incense, delight, joy, wonder.

“To the right person my art will delight, to everyone else I will confuse!”  
Unknown Port Campbell Artist

Things that have been found on the wonder trail so far
Day dreams night dreams                                     Stories
Magik                                                                        Memory
Faeries                                                                      Curiosity
Absurdity                                                                  Cats
Birds                                                                          Emotion
            Rhymes                                                                      Rabbits
Glitter                                                                        Nature spirits
Juxtaposition                                                           Play
I have gotten lost,                                                    Opposities
There is also loss,                                                     Silliness
Healing mending and re-membering                  Introspection                       
Glitter                                                                         lost things found things

It is mostly just about love.

Oh my, i actually submitted this to a gallery! But you know what this honesty and vulnerability and heart sharing felt right.
So will continue to submit this Artist Statement until i find my space i believe! 

SO here i go further down the rabbit hole, i want to truly embrace my creative heart, to dive deeply in and stop giving such a shit about how i will be percieved. I long to set myself free and so i have and here i go.



Blessed be xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment