Happy Mental Health Week... or not, no pressure

Sun in Libra, Moon in Pisces, Waxing 2nd 1/4 Moon

Its Mental Health Week this week poppets.

What does that mean for you?

For me it will no doubt be a regular old week as I am always conscious of my mental health, i guess anyone who has been affected by Mental illness would be! Mental Health Week does feel like a time when i am extra conscious though and i feel like i have a responsibility to promote mental health because of my own history.

When i first began working at the Art Therapy Centre located on the grounds of one of the mental health hospitals of Perth I encountered a lot of the stigma associated with fears and lack of awareness about mental health. People were quick to joke about being 'crazy' and fears were expressed about all the 'freaks and weirdos' which is horribly sad. Over half the population has issues with mental illness and in fact i think people don't realise that we ALL have Mental Health just like physical health and sometimes we have issues with it, sometimes it doesn't and we don't work the way we need to, sometimes we need help, sometimes this feels like all the time for people and sometimes it is. But unlike having time off for the flu and resting in bed after visiting the doctor, mental health is often treated with fear, stigma, ignorance and judgment rather than the love, grace and understanding it needs. I have and i know many people that have been too afraid to speak out or seek help because of the stigma and fear of being 'crazy'. I even lost my job once when i was younger when i spoke up so no wonder there is fear out there for people. But despite this i still think just be crazy people, don't bottle it up, talk to someone, anyone, and better yet ask people you love how they are too because a lot of people are feeling like crap and no one is talking about it and talking does help!

This life and society i currently find myself in values speed, efficiency, doing All The Things, working hard, being busy and unfortunately try as i may i have come to understand that this just doesn't work for me. I can pretend it does for a few days but it wont be long before i am covered in tired and woe! I have had to learn how to be in this physical body in harmony and for me it is about slow, it is about breathing full deep long breaths, it is about nature and oceans and alone time, creative time, connecting to spirit time.

When i worked at the Art Therapy centre we would hold annual art exhibitions to promote mental health awareness at this time. And now working full-time for my self i felt like i wanted to do something of my own. It's not exactly during Mental Health week but its pretty darn close - On Saturday October 25th the Groat Street Festival is happening whoop whoop! That will be fun! And not only will i be holding a Handmade Wonderland Market Stall full to the brim with handmade treasures and magik, i will also be running a Gumnut Felting workshop to raise money for beyondblue which you can read more about in a post here. I also thought that this week i would be particularly nice to myself so on Instagram, where i enjoy hanging out each day, i am going to celebrate mental health week by sharing things i do to look after my mental health each day - come join in at #mentalhealtheveryday and lets drop the crap associated with mental health and just love and support each other

Grey Butcherbird comes to visit


Brightest blessings xxx


0 comments:

Post a Comment