The Magik of Dreams

Sun in Pisces, Moon in Cancer.

Hello Day dreamers! 



That was a quote i heard the other day that rang true and got me thinking about my own dreams. Are they big enough? 
I am not a fan of being scared and anxiety is a pain in the butt enough in my life without consciously contributing to it but am i missing out by not dreaming big? If i let me heart really truly express its dreams what do they look like? In what ways am i holding myself back?
Its fun and inspiring to reflect on these questions and see where they lead... often to broader fields and personal expansion, spaces more aligned with our higher self, our spirits calling. This is our dreaming!

The Australian Aborigines connect to their spirits and culture through their dreaming and the dreamtime. I don't know a lot unfortunately being a suburban white girl - why is this not a part of our school curriculum to learn about the aboriginal culture of the land we call home? Ugh that is a can of worms topic right there. I digress.. the small time i have been able to spend out in Central Australia with an indigenous community was amazing. 'Dreamtime' i have come to learn refers to the time of the Earths creation by the ancestor spirits and 'dreaming' is a personal and communities spiritual connection. I really want to learn more about the Noongar culture and dreaming, i think it will help so much in my connection to this land i love that i call home if i can find a way to connect to the original culture of the people of the land. So our dreaming is our spirit connection, our higher purpose, our meaning of life perhaps.


Life is But a Dream. Daydream Space-Laneway Project. Summerset Arts Festival 2013

I was told as a child i daydreamed a lot in fact i think the words 'too much' may have been used which makes me screw up my nose! My head may have been in the clouds as child but isn't that the best place to be, nurturing my imagination and creativity in my dream bubble. I still got stuff done, i just took longer, i still take longer now! I think time needs to be made as an adult to daydream. I have a special space in my garden under a big Jacaranda Tree. There is an Earth altar, a faerie space and a patch of green grass. I meditate a lot here to help me clear my mind of stress and worry but what about filling it up with daydreams and imaginings like i did as a kid. To gift myself time to daydream would be a real luxury i would love to give myself! 

I have been to an event a couple of times called Dreaming Tree by Caiseal Mor and his accompanying musicians and singers. Over the course of an evening we wind down with meditation and listening to story and then sleep while music is played to open the pineal gland and encourage lucid dreaming, it is quite remarkable! In the morning of one of the events two people on either side of the room had similar dreams; one of being healed, the other being the healer - these people didn't know each other before their dreaming, so wonderful it reminded me of the ancient Asclepeions of Greece and Rome. Asclepeions were healing temples dedicated to the god Asclepius. Places of dreaming and healing, where dreams were documented and used in the healing practises. 

Oh how i dream of a sacred place to dream. And in this longing i realise there is no reason why our bedroom can not become a modern sacred dreaming space! 
Sacred Dream Space
A bedroom redesign and a few dream rituals and spells should do the trick! 
Like a warm bath with epsom salts and lavender and rose oils to soothe the body and release the stress of the day.

Charm bags of dreaming herbs such as lavender, chammomile and mugwort kept under the pillow often called dreaming pillows are nice.



Lavender oil anointed to the temples and base of the skull to assist in relaxation.

A calming tea of valerian root, chammomile and mugwort to relax and enhance the dreamy state sipped slowly.


A dream diary and pen left by the bed to recall any snippets in the morning have been a really helpful tool for me and many others to assist in dream recall. The practise of writing our dreams down first thing in the morning helps us to remember more and more each night. Just blurt it all out in any order you remember regardless of how ridiculous it all sounds, including feelings and colours.

Asking for your spirit guides, guardians, angels - especially Gabriel, faeries - whoever you connect with to assist you in remembering your dreams is very useful also.
I have even asked questions and received answers in my dreams. One night as a teenager i had the important task of naming my new pet mouse! I had a list of names i couldn't choose from and that night in my dreams i was out side calling repeatedly "Thursday..... Thursday..... Thursday" which was not the day of the week but one of the potential mouse names i had chosen! So Thursday it was- naw i remember that cute little guy!

As a kid i had a night ritual my Dad would have to tuck me in and shine my Glowbugs under the light and then place them by my bed and say Sweet Dreams! Every night for goodness knows how long, thanks Dad! It seams silly but things like this really help kids with big imaginations and nightmares, the repetitive reassuring act of kindness each night really helped me.


The Woman's Book of Dreams by Connie Kaplan is my all time most favourite book of dreams. Her book about Dreaming as a Spiritual Practice is full to the brim with wisdom and medicine for our lives.

All Women are Psychics By Diane Stein is a goody and has an excellent chapter on dreams.

And the Learn to Dream Book by David Fontana has some good morsels on developing our dreaming recollection.

'All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them' - Walt Disney

I'd love to hear about your magical dreams, flying dreams, your big heart dreams, all the dreams - lets share our dream stories!

Brishtest Blessings and Sweet Dreams.

By the way....This post is a part of the Pagan Blog Project. A site dedicated to some of the blogs of the online Pagan community. 'D' Dream Magik


0 comments:

Post a Comment