Sew La Tea Dye!

Sun In Sagittarius, Moon in Aries

Whoopsi Daisies! I found this post in my drafts all the way from the beginning of the year! Better late than never i guess :)

I have devised a new art program for work for the next 9 weeks, we are revamping the art therapy centers very tired and raggedy Balinese Welcome Flags and creating personalised prayer flags that the clients may take away with them at the end of the project.

We have begun a Japanese dying process called Shibori, i first learnt about this art form at university during my textiles course and really enjoyed the process. Some artists devote their entire arts practices to perfecting their shibori work. I take my hat off to them, i am a bit of a jack of all arts and to focus and master just one area does sound like an amazing thing to do - but not for me, i love it all!
Any who, i digress... the Shibori process involves pleating, stitching, folding, wrapping and clamping fabric in a variety of ways before it is placed into a dye pot the result is some very fancy dye work - kind of like a formalised tie dye!

Here are my stitchy beginnings














Creating dye is a real witchy act for me, the colourful dye and big pots being stirred fills me with images of the cauldron! We used Procion dyes to dye washed calico and muslin.

The washing line became a colour mobile - i really love them just as they are all hung up to dry!

Dry, untied and ironed the patterns are revealed.

The most wonderful thing about dying is the relinquishing of control - you have to expect the unexpected, the art form with work its magic on its own you are merely the channel - I firmly believe this to be the case for all work and processes like this where the outcome is out of your full control really enhances this point. i love it!

Ciao for now!
Peace Love Blessed Be

0 comments:

Post a Comment