The Jar Girl

Sun in Libra, Moon in Leo, 3rd 1/4

Good Morning Sunshine,


I wanted to celebrate and share with you all my latest inclusion in the exhibition 'Open Minds Open Doors' at The Alma Street Centre in Fremantle as a part of mental health week. Working in the arts in the Mental Health sector i was able to submit a piece of art into this exhibition along with clients of a variety of mental health services.


The Jar Girl - initial drawing,
pencil and artliner on cartridge
'The Jar Girl' began as a drawing one afternoon at work when i was in a very melancholic spot and  unable to see my way out of that space. I sat and drew as a way to relax, release tension and possibly connect to something bigger than myself, i was essentially involved in my own subconcious art therapy process. I drew her and at the time i couldn't explain her, make sense of her or explain what she was about but i did have strong feelings for her, i felt better after drawing her and i felt a great connection to her.


The Jar Girl
Acrylic and charcoal on board
A year later i completed the painting of her using a recycled support that i had made 10 years ago in my first painting unit at TAFE, i won the class prize for the still life painted on that surface and she hung in my parents home for a few years until they re decorated. This support has a memory, a past life before becoming 'The Jar Girl'. 


Upon resolution of the painting which evolved over several months and layers and layers and layers, she  began to tell her story to me.


The Jar has reached into and contains the subconscious and with it the gift of a fish, symbolic of the treasures that can come from troubled times.


"The Jar Girl' has sold - my first sold painting and at first i jumped for joy but then all i had was disbelief, 'no there must be a mistake' i thought. I watched this negative self talk - aware of it thank goodness instead of being carried away into it. It almost dampened my celebration, the joy that comes from sharing your creations with the world, the energised feeling of hooray that someone connected with the image enough to buy her has been very inspiring to keep going, keep making, keep creating! So this post is in honour of my creativity and the creative spirit that works through me, it is away to say yes i do value my self and the things i make, i love what i do and this great love can be shared with the world when i am brave and share what i do.


I do not even know who the person is, but who ever you are - Thank you, may The Jar Girl be as healing for you as she has been for me.


Brightest blessings art lovers!



0 comments:

Post a Comment