Memory Lane

Sun in Cancer, Moon in Gemini, Last Quarter

I would like to take you on a stroll down memory lane, so please take my hand and we will begin.

Our first stop is less than one month ago, Thursday the 2nd of June to be precise. I had to go into work on my usual day off to attend an emergency procedure what not (oh so thrilling!) but thank goodness i did, for in the corner of the room we were to do our training in was a hospital trolley and in the place of the usual hospital objects you may expect to find on a hospital trolley was instead a gathering of tittle plastic toys, oh how they made my heart sing! Sooo many memories.


As a child i had a little wooden cupboard given to me by my big sister, it should have held a tea set, but being a creative child i transformed it into an apartment block for my giant collection of very little plastic figurines collected from all sorts of places a lot i think from fast food chains, mum would  mostly just buy me the toy not the food thankfully!

I enquired with a lovely art therapist at work about the plastic toys and she said they were used in a therapy called Sandtray/Sandplay Therapy. You can google it to find out more, i don't want to try and put words to this creative process just yet until i find out more i guess or have a play of my own!

Childhood love - say cheese!
During the week at work a conversation arose about the early 90's Australian children's TV show called Lift-Off! Does anyone else remember this show? I loved it soo much and i had forgotten all about it, I still have my EC doll and a book about him called Adventures with EC by Jutta Goetze. The discussion brought up about how surprising it was that the show was so short lived considering its quality, so well made, multi disciplinary too it had a story, songs, animation, puppets - it was like Sesame Street for Australia almost! I can even hear the song in my head now... It wasn't preachy either which was refreshing, there was a variety of different characters from different cultures and backgrounds and even a deaf child but it wasn't gone on about, it was just life like it is for kids; everyone is the same, children don't seem to see or get hung up on difference like adults, they just play and the show captured that, Wackadoo!



I was inspired to gather my remaining childhood toys for a photo
I had been feeling pretty meir today and came home early from work to find that the man i love had cleaned the house, i was over joyed so much that i cried. It was exactly what i needed to come home to, our home was clean, organised and beautiful as it tends to fall apart in reflection of when i do! Funny that!
By the sink in the kitchen were my childhood glow bugs - they are usually posted by on our bedroom window ledge. As a child my dad would tuck me in at night and shine my glow bugs on a tea tray (that must have gone with aforementioned toy cupboard!) for me every night. I no longer shine the bugs but they still sit on that ledge and remind me of another time keeping watch in the dark. Any who i digress, the point was that, that darling man had bothered to wash the glow bugs! Bless, bless, bless a man who will not ignore, laugh or bin his fiances glow bugs, instead he washes them! I recognised that one of the glow bugs was in fact not a glow bug at all but a creature that glowed from the Keeper toy i had as a girl.

Flashback to the 80's! Well i decided to google 'keeper 80's toy'
and see if i would have any luck finding an image of one and wow what childhood splendor i found on-line - more heart singing!
while out in the world wide web i stumbled upon a blog called 'The 80's Toy Ark' go and check that delightfulness out! So many toys i remember and by the looks of the small amount i read about today she has sourced a lot from thrift stores! Recycling love and memories - i love it!


Do you have an favourite toys you remember? What about kids TV shows?


Thank you for journeying with me down memory lane, love and silliness
Blessed be






1 comments:

  1. Ahh ha haa! I just wanted to say that "Masters of the Universe' was on TV today from the 80's. I never knew There was a He-Man movie.. i loved He-Man and She-Rah as a kid. The movie is pretty lame though but oddly amusing at the same time!!

    ReplyDelete