There is a Gorilla at the end of my street wearing a scarf!!

 Sun in Taurus, Moon in Gemini, new moon

Hello :)


Driving up my street the other day and out the corner of my eye I spotted a gorilla.. now I live in suburban West Australia, near the beach not the bush or jungle or zoo for that matter so of course I assumed I was seeing things yet again. 
Driving home I expected nothing to be there and to have a giggle at myself and my 'visions'... but there was in fact a gorilla right there, in plain daylight on someones verge!


I had a laugh with my neighbour about it, now let me add here it was not a real gorilla. No animal cruelty in sight, but a sculpture of one. 


Walking to the library one day, the gorilla sculpture was on the way, I stopped to get a closer look and it dawned on me that I would really love to give it a scarf! 
It took a while to work up the courage to go and actually give the gorilla the scarf.. I'm such a chicken! 


I attached a tag to the scarf that reads the following
       
          Lovingly Guerrilla knitted for the gorilla who lives at  the end of my street!

I began knitting this scarf about 7 years ago when I was teaching myself to knit, I believe it was meant for the gorilla all along!

There is a nifty lil book I often reference in my art classes called 'Indi Craft' by Jo Waterhouse - go check that one out! In it is featured two marvelously crafty groups. One called Knit The City from London who do exactly as they claim (they should get into politics!) and Knitta Please from the USA. Both groups are involved in 'yarn bombing', 'knitted graffiti' and 'yarn storming' all colourful names for attaching your knitting to public places.


Last year some magical crafty person/people left their knitted wares around my local beach. So warm, colourful, vibrant, inspiring and fun. I went on adventure one day and photographed them, here are a few.


Unfortunately they didn't last very long, I don't know who took them down, but who ever put them up bless you, thank you for the colourful, artful, fun addition to the otherwise boredom of utilitarian objects in society. You have inspired me, in fact and I am looking forward to planting more knitting around the 'burbs soon.

So grab your crochet hooks and knitting needles, lets turn our beige cities into places of joy!

Blessed Be
xx




0 comments:

Post a Comment